Permits are used to transport cattle and horses from Alberta to destinations outside of Alberta may are also used to transport cattle and horses from an inspection site to a destination within Alberta. Permits are issued by Livestock Inspectors following an inspection of cattle or horses.   

There are three types of Permits:

The category of Special Permits includes: 

  • Pedigree Cattle Permit
  • Rodeo and Exhibition Permit
  • Annual Horse Permit

Permits assist the livestock industry by confirming the ownership of all livestock leaving the province, are a deterrent to inter-provincial livestock theft and assist with tracing livestock in the event of an animal disease outbreak.